Saturday, August 20, 2011

Eating Crow

"Eating Crow" is an old term used when you have had a lot to say about something, and it turns out you might be wrong in your judgement. 

In the past, I've had a lot to say about allopathic medicine, Drs., & hospitals.  I have been relentless at times trying to get my husband to wean off his prescription medications and go "all natural".  I have tried the
medical route myself for a heart condtion I've had for over 12 years.  Whenever I would try a prescription drug, my body would react in the opposite way than the drug was designed for, or I would experience the "side effects".  I realized that my belief that the drug was BAD caused my body to reject its effects.  I was OK with that.  It made me "right".  I was doing quite well, and taking good care of myself without medications or supplements for my heart.

One of my intentions for this experience was to let go of anything that is out of alignment with LOVE.  That would certainly include judgements.  I kept saying I was open to whatever needed to happen, but my daughter's wise feedback said I was resisting medical intervention on a subconscious level.  I had to look at that and admit she was right.  So, Tuesday, Aug. 16, when I came to a place where I felt I was drowning in my own body fluids, I was faced with all my judgements against the medical field. 

I called my other daughter, who is a nurse, and asked her what she would recommend.  She had been very respectful of my choices, and very nervous about my condition.  She called a doctor about a prescription for a saline drip.  We were still focused on the dehydration issue, thinking the edema was from that.  The doctor wouldn't give an order until I had labs drawn so that he could see exactly what I needed.

Long story short, I found myself with an opportunity to not only completely surrender my judgements, but love and fully appreciate the doctor's expertise, and be grateful for the medication's ability to quickly pull me out of a life threatening crisis.  I consciously seized the opportunity to fully embrace my situation and go to the hospital for a couple of days for treatment.  I found myself loving and appreciating the whole experience.

The good news is the cardiologist who helped me is just the kind of doctor I asked for.  He listens with an open mind, makes suggestions, and respects my choices.  Life is full of surprises.  That's what makes it so interesting and beautiful!

3 comments:

  1. So true. If all that is good comes from God, then I would say that the technology (even fancy little pills) may have been given to us by Him.

    As with everything, things can be used for unloving purposes, but not all things are bad.

    I love that you were able to realize a huge judgement that you were carrying. Congrats on the realization!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don here: glad you feel safe.congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acknowledging "crow" is pretty important for the whole process, "good on ya' (an Aussie phrase)

    I'm so glad you're doing okay.

    ReplyDelete