Friday, May 20, 2011

Pleasure or Craving?

I'm discovering I need very little food at my stage of life and activity level. I could do very well on very little is what I tell myself.  I need very little to satisfy hunger, but find myself snacking on things that  bring me pleasure.

If it's physical pleasure I am wanting, in a peppermint chew, pastry, or salt chips, does that mean I'm trying to fill a void?  As I think about it, I pop things in my mouth unconsciously, either because it's in sight, or I feel a sudden urge for something.  I notice sometimes I use it as a distraction when I'm going to do something I'm not particularly fond of doing.  Is it a distraction to my spiritual discipline because I feel so insignificant?

I have given up a lot in the past 15+ years for my spiritual growth.  I am much happier!  It is so liberating to not be weighed down with judgements,  expectations and attachments. AHA! These three words are KEY elements in my relationship with food!

Many times I'm not interested in eating, but my body requires it. OR is it just showing symptoms of detoxing, like a headache or back pain?   Is it a belief system I have brought along with an "over-concern-about-health" obsession I've noticed in the past?  I know that I judge some foods as good for me and some bad.

What if eating is the same as the pleasure of sex, where we crave the momentary pleasure, but it has little or no meaningful effect in our lives other than filling a void?  I have no problem with pleasure in any form that is a conscious choice as an experience without attachment. I believe life is to enjoy.  But there is a difference between having sex and making love; as there is a difference in eating to avoid feeling or eating for pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. Linda, I have had the same pondering thoughts around food. What motivates me to eat this particular thing I am putting in my mouth? What motivates me to DO anything I take action to do?

    Thank you for the thoughtful journey of your blog.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for participating, Linda. Luvs.

    ReplyDelete